Fibre-Reinforced Plastic or FRP, also known as fibreglass is a modern-day material that has gained recognition not only in the industrial sectors but also in other domains- commercial and residential. It is noted for having diverse applications. For example, in the present days, FRP is used to manufacture tennis rackets, car panels, ladders, trays, beams and other related sections. It could be loosely defined as a composite that is made from polymers and reinforcing fibres like glass.
If you are wondering as to why fibreglass managed to earn such immense popularity, let me tell that this material has a host of beneficial features, which set them apart from the typical traditional metals. Let us take a close look at some of those distinguishing characteristics of FRP as they are mentioned below in brief.
Unique Features of FRP
- FRP is light in weight, hence all the products made from this exceptional material could be easily installed without any substantial effort.
- Although light-weighted, almost all the fibreglass products like FRP grating structures are known for having high tensile strengths and remarkable enduring capabilities. In other words, these items could bear heavy loads, extreme pressure and environmental inconsistencies successfully.
- Fibreglass is known for being quite flexible thus, the material is readily available in the market in varied shapes, sizes and colors. In addition, no matter how much burden it is subjected to, FRP would never deform or lose its original shape.
- Among all the exclusive features, the resistant property of FRP is the most advantageous. The material is unaffected by heat, fire, moisture, caustic chemicals and insect infestation. Thus, it could be fairly concluded that FRP is ideal for outdoor settings.
- Fibreglass is non-conductive and dielectric. These two properties make the material quite safe for the consumers and manufacturers.
- Finally, yet importantly, fibreglass stands to be extremely durable, which means it could be used for prolonged periods without any difficulty. A little maintenance every now and then would preserve the shine of your FRP products.
The aforementioned pointers are those exclusive reasons due to which FRP emerged as a favorite of the vast industrial sector effectually replacing all the conventional construction elements like steel, wood, cement, etc.
As stated earlier, if you wish your FRP products to hold on to its brand-new lustre, you need to follow some maintenance tips. The steps are described below.
How to Maintain FRP Products?
- Though FRP structures are quite sturdy, yet they must be kept under occasional inspection so that damages (if any) are detected at the earliest.
- Cleaning the products with mild detergents would successfully remove the accumulated dirt and dust.
- Polishing the surfaces would allow the products to preserve its shine for longer periods.
- Waxing is of utmost necessity especially for FRP products like stair nosing. It assures that the surface is not too slippery, thus, preventing unfortunate accidents that stem from slips, trips and falls.
Following the above-mentioned steps would surely expand the lifespan of your FRP products.Share This Article: